EPA Recognizes USAA Real Estate Company With 2012 Energy Star® Sustained Excellence Award
March 6, 2012 - San Antonio, TX
USAA Real Estate Company earns award for protecting the environment through energy efficiency
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has awarded USAA Real Estate Company a 2012 ENERGY STAR Sustained Excellence Award in recognition of its continued leadership in protecting our environment through energy efficiency. USAA Real Estate Company’s accomplishments will be recognized at an awards ceremony in Washington, D.C. on March 15, 2012, which marks the 20th anniversary of ENERGY STAR.
USAA Real Estate Company, an ENERGY STAR partner since 2000, will be honored for its long-term commitment to energy efficiency. This is the eighth such award the company has received, and when combined with the two Energy Star Partner of the Year awards, USAA has been recognized a total of 10 times – the most by any real estate company. To be recognized as an Energy Star Partner and sustain the excellence, USAA Real Estate Company must continue to focus on sustainability and strive for energy efficiency. 2011 marked the eleventh year of benchmarking and focusing on results as follows:
- Since 2000 reduced energy consumption by 39% cumulatively and saved over $17 million
- Energy Star Leaders recognition for eighth straight year with 10% improvement, earned “Top Performer” with Energy Star score of 90
- Benchmarked all office, hotel and multifamily properties using Energy Star Portfolio Manager and 92% of office has Energy Star Rating of 75 or higher
- Improved portfolio Energy Star rating by 83% since 2000, from 48 to 88 average Energy Star rating, putting USAA’s portfolio in the top 12% of the market in terms of efficienc
- Participated in National Building Competition, with 2 buildings ranked among the top performers reducing energy consumption in excess of 15%
- USAA Real Estate Company was ranked in the top 5 in the Americas in the Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark and named Green Star organization based partly on our Energy Star efforts with benchmarking, operational excellence focus, Energy Star Labels, energy and water reductions, and Partner of the Year/Sustained Excellence success
Across the U.S., top companies and organizations are leading the way toward a more energy-efficient future through participation in ENERGY STAR. Over the past 20 years, American families and businesses have saved nearly $230 billion on utility bills and prevented greenhouse gas emissions equal to those from more than 350 million vehicles with help from ENERGY STAR.
“USAA Real Estate Company is committed to partnering with ENERGY STAR in our efforts to increase energy efficiency in our real estate portfolio and driving the business case, which not only helps protect the environment and reduce greenhouse gas emissions, but has helped us drive even better financial returns for USAA and our partners” said Pat Duncan, Chairman and CEO.
The 2012 Sustained Excellence Awards are given to a select group of organizations that have exhibited outstanding leadership year after year. These winners have reduced greenhouse gas emissions by setting and achieving aggressive goals, employing innovative approaches, and showing others what can be achieved through energy efficiency. These awards recognize ongoing leadership across the ENERGY STAR program including energy-efficient products, services, new homes and buildings in the commercial, industrial and public sectors. Award winners are selected from about 20,000 organizations that participate in the ENERGY STAR program.
“As we celebrate the 20th anniversary of the ENERGY STAR program, EPA is proud to recognize USAA Real Estate Company with the 2012 ENERGY STAR Sustained Excellence Award,” said EPA Administrator Lisa P. Jackson. “USAA Real Estate Company and all our ENERGY STAR award winners are helping Americans find cost-effective ways to save energy in everything we do, which is good for our climate, our health, and our future.”
About USAA Real Estate Company
USAA Real Estate Company, with approximately $12 billion in assets under management, provides co-investment asset management services to U.S. pension funds as well as foreign and domestic institutional investors. USAA Real Estate Company also provides capital to partners for development. The portfolio consists of office, industrial, multi-family, retail and hotel properties as well as investments in real estate operating companies. USAA Real Estate is a subsidiary of USAA, a leading financial services company, serving military families since 1922. For more information, visit www.usrealco.com.